Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

my ears pop when i blow my nose. this has happened on and

my ears "pop" when i blow my nose. this has happened on and off over the last few years. i harly ever get colds but i do have alergies. i am 58 year old male in excellent health/condition. (i run, lift, bike, golf, bike).
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
This can be entirely normal.

The reason this occurs is a structure called the eustachian tube, which connects the back of the pharynx (at the back of the throat and nasal passages) to the middle ear.

This structure helps to equalize pressure between the inner ear and the outside world; this is often why you feel the need to "pop" your ears when going up in altitude (driving in the mountains, airplane rides).

When you blow your nose, you are increasing the pressure in the back of the pharynx, and some of this pressure is transmitted back to your ears, causing it to "pop".