Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician
9385906

why does my left foot swell when nothing else does

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

Since when are you having this swelling ?

Please briefly tell me about your medical history , are you on any kind of medications,

Did you have any kind of injury of left foot, which is not healing , do have high blood sugar level ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had a left hip replacement about 2 years ago and have had trouble with left foot and ankle swelling ever since. It swells during the day and receedes in bed at night. It is somewhat severe

Do you have difficulty in breathing as well

How much do walk iin a day and do you start breathing heavily while walking

Do you see dilated veins on your swollen left foot or leg

does this swelling developed right after your hip surgery

Does your swelling decrease when you raise your leg on bed by keeping pillow under it

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no difficulty breathing. I had a stroke 5 years ago, before the surgery, that crippled my left side so I have difficulty walking, I use a quad cane. I had no vein problem, yes, the swelling started right after surgery although there was some post stroke swelling before surgery.

Hi there,

From your past medical history of Stroke and Left hip replacement , the probable cause of your swollen foot and ankle, is Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT , in short).

DVT is a condition in which there is formation of a blood clot ("thrombus") in a deep vein and it usually affects lower limb veins. This clotting eventually leads to swelling and redness of the area of limb where the vein is clotted, as in your case it is your foot and ankle.

Though DVT is the first diagnosis that comes to mind , howevwer there may be second diagnosis and that is Varicose veins.

Now to confirm the diagnosis of DVT there are few main Investigations that can be carried out. These are-

1)intravenous venography

2)D-dimer blood test

3) Doppler ultrasonography

4)Duplex Ultrasonography

These are a few tests which can confirm your diagnosis.

So i would advise you to seek help from a Physician and mention all the possible investigations that i have suggested you , so that he chooses the best and the surest out of the lot.

Please do not take this condition lightly and seek help from your doctor as soon as posible as if it is DVT then it has a life threatening complication in the form of Pulmonary Embolism.

As far as treatment of DVT is concerned , your doctor after the mentioned investigations are done will decide whether hospital admission is required or not. Usually Blood Thinners (Anticoagulants) are give in this condition.

Wish you good health.

Regards..Dr. Kaushik

-----------------------------------

Please press the accept button if are satisfied with my answer.

A Positive Feedback is always appreciated.