Dr PG M.D.
Dr PG M.D., Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MS
9208484

why does my left eye turn red,get better and reddens again.

why does my left eye turn red,get better and reddens again. some days its fine ,other day i wake up and its red . My opthamologist says it isnt pink eye. This has been going on for two months now
Category: Health
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Age: 47; Female, New York

Already Tried:
tobramycin,systane,murine,azalyte
Expert:  Dr PG M.D. replied 8 years ago.
I am an Ophthalmologist. Can you give me some more information-
- is the left eye absolutely normal?
- any discharge of matting of the right eye when you get up?
- when you have redness of the eye, does the vision in the right eye go down?
- do you have this problem every year in summers or change of season?
- do you have any other allergies, like sneezing, skin allergy etc?
Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
my left eye is the eye with the problem. My right eye is okay although it did happen to the right eye also for one day. There is very minimal crusting in the am and it isnt every day. I have never had this problem before and I do not have loss of vision. I have had optic neuritis and couple of times and have paling of both optic nerves (I have benign ms). I do not have any food or drug allergies. Im not sure about seasonal-As Im getting older they do seem to be starting
<p>Sorry for the mistaking the eye.</p><p>From what you are describing it seems that you might be having eye allergy which is more in the left eye and there might be some amount of dryness in the eye. The fact that you have consulted an Ophthalmologits rules out serious problems like inflammation in the eye (uveitis), eye infection (corneal ulcer) etc.</p><p>You need to take long treatment for eye allergy and dryness. The paradox is that if strong eye drops are prescribed for your allergy, then the dryness will worsen.</p><p>So, long term eye drops like zaditor (available OTC) for preventing eye allergy and continuing systane eye drops for dryness. Other lubricating eye drops like refresh tears or genteal eye drops (available OTC) might also help if you are not feeling any relief from systane eye drops.</p><p>Regards</p>