Internist
Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States
13024878

When I pass faeces they dont always flush away and the toilet

Customer Question

When I pass faeces they don't always flush away and the toilet bowl fills up with orange coloured liquid. I very recently had a barium swallow and the faeces following this are not flushing . The first night the whole bowl filled up with blood the foloowing two with more orangy coloured liquid leaving a very pale stool in the bottom of the toilet. What advise would you give me?
Category: Health
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Age: 60; Female, United Kingdom

Already Tried:
Talking to a doctor. I can't do an occult blood test because my system is too unpredictable. My original question was
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.

If the barium enema was normal, the bleeding was from an irritation by the enema tip. The stool that you describe is from the barium, which will pass on its own. The pale stool is the barium which is light colored and pasty. Do not worry.

I have over 20 years experience in patient care dealing with similar issues as this. If I have answered your question, please click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) and " POSITIVE FEEDBACK' so I can get paid for my work. If you ARE NOT satisfied, please ask for more information or explanation. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor. Thanks for your inquiry. If you have future questions, you may request that I answer them.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I didn't have a barium enema I had a barium swallow. I have had orange coloured liquid coming from my stools that haven't flushed away for the past 6 months. It was just more pronounced
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
Have you had your stools tested for fat?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
Sometimes fat can make your stools difficult to flush. You can ask your doctor to check for this with a 24 hr collection. The one other thing that can cause orange colored stool is Xenical.

Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the positive feedback. The blood in the stool was most likely from a local irritation around the anus or the rectum. It would be good medical practice to get this checked out with a colonoscopy. This would rule out any more serious causes of bleeding.