Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

How could I come up positive for benzos during a drug test

How could I come up positive for benzos during a drug test on the job? I use benadryl ,tylenol pm and use some herbal teas could this have caused the false positive.

Herbal product like valerian root is suppose to cause false positive for benzodiazepines. So your herbal tea may be responsible for your positive test. Read this resource;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so is it safe to say that benadryl & tylenol pm would have nothing to do with my positive reading.I also take ginzing ,sleepy time ebal tea,ambium sleep medication

Ambien can give (as a matter of fact all sleep medications) positive test for benzodiazepines. Benadryl and Tylenol PM do not give positive for this test.

It is pleasure assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The info given to me by Dr. Phophalia is being disputed by the doctor at my job.

She states that ambien could not show a positive for benzos during my test results

because she uses confirmatory testing . So is this true, and if it is then how could I show benzos in my test results when I have not taken any thing not proscribed to me

since I have left rehab . After working for my employer for 30 years I want to keep my job

please help. If I can prove that the doc at my job is wrong they will take me back to work......

Please see the resource;

This mentions that most prescription sleeping pills can give false positive for the benzodiazepines. You can show the prescription and this reference.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dear Doctor Phophalia:

I was told on Friday that I can find many web sites that will support my case that my test was positive for benzos because I was taking a sleep med. And my employer stated to that you are a quack and that you are agreeing with me because I am paying for this service. They have seen your qualifications and still because the employee health doc. at my job said you are wrong they will not beleive my info.

Is there finding from the federal government ?

There are two facts;

1) You did not take benzo

2) Still you came positive for benzo

This means that there is a medication which caused a false positive result.

Read the resource;

Dr. Arun