Hilton C. Ray, MD
Hilton C. Ray, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  14 years as a Family Practitioner and 6 years as a Holistic Physician
3355086

I have a cut on the back of my left ear. Everytime I lay down

Customer Question

I have a cut on the back of my left ear. Everytime I lay down to sleep, the scab pulls away and it wont heel.....this has been going on for two months...any suggestions ???
Category: Health
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.
<br />
<br />Did you have stitches put in the cut?
<br />
<br />Do you sleep with a covering over your ear to protect the scab?
<br />
<br />please click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) and " POSITIVE FEEDBACK' so I can get paid for my work
<br />
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no stitches...its just on the surface.......tried band-aids the last few nights but pulling the band-aid off opens it up again........
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.
Hello again,
<br />
<br />You need to go to the drugstore and get the very large size Band-Aids or adhesive tape with gauze to cover over the ear scab and then leave this on for several days. If you keep taking the Band-Aid off the scab will come off with a Band-Aid until it is fairly well-healed. Try this for now and try not to touch the cut and it will eventually get better if it is not irritated.
<br />
<br />I have over 20 years experience in patient care dealing with similar issues as this. If I have answered your question, please click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) and " POSITIVE FEEDBACK' so I can get paid for my work. If you ARE NOT satisfied, please ask for more information or explanation. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor. Thanks for your inquiry. If you have future questions, you may request that I answer them.
<br />
<br />
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm not sure I understand your answer:

You need to go to the drugstore and get the very large size Band-Aids or adhesive tape with gauze to cover over the ear scab and then leave this on for several days.

"If you keep taking the Band-Aid off the scab will come off with a Band-Aid until it is fairly well-healed."" dont understand this....

Try this for now and try not to touch the cut and it will eventually get better if it is not irritated
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
should I put ointment like Neosporin on the bandaid or adhesive tape , o0r just leave it dry ????
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.
You only need to put antibacterial ointment on it if it is infected. You did not mention that it was infected but instead said that there was just a scab present. If you have Neosporin Ointment it would not hurt to put it on but may not be necessary. Once again this scab needs to be protected so that the underlying cut has time to heal and then the scab will fall off on its own.
<br />
<br />You may accept my answer now. Positive feedback is appreciated.
Expert:  Hilton C. Ray, MD replied 8 years ago.
I am going to step in here since I have a significantly different answer.

I do not think it is normal for any "cut" to bleed for two months. While I understand the process of scarring and scab formation, there are a couple of concerning factors.

This is on the back of the ear. In a 56 year-old man, this is a typical place for significant sun exposure over the years. That can lead to sun damaged skin and potential for neoplastic, or cancerous, changes to occur in the skin.

Even though this started as a "cut", the trauma may have been in an abnormal area of skin and now it is not healing. Any wound that has not healed in two months warrants a biopsy. I think you should go to your regular doctor or a dermatologist for an evaluation. a biopsy will rule out any type of skin cancer or make a diagnosis that can be treated.

In all fairness, we cannot actually see the lesion on your ear, but I do not think it is safe to simply try to get it to stop bleeding, particularly if you have had no other bleeding problem up until now.

I hope this was helpful. If it was, then positive feedback is always appreciated, as are bonuses. If it was not helpful, then please send a follow up question or let me know your concern. CountryDoc
Hilton C. Ray, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 14 years as a Family Practitioner and 6 years as a Holistic Physician