Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP
5101698

I have these chicken pox looking red raised bumps on my belly.

Customer Question

I have these chicken pox looking red raised bumps on my belly. Every few months I get them. It usually starts a few days before the pox come out with a low grade fever between 99.5 and 100 and a general feeling that I am going to get the flu but the flu never comes. The fever subsides. I go to bed and I wake up with one or two of these pox like bumps but by the end of the day and into the next, they multiply between 30-50 all localized on my belly and sides. They are terrily itchy and sting. Bug bites have already been ruled out. Any Idea as to what these are?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.
Hi

For how long have you had this problem?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
about 4 to 6 months. The other outbreaks have not been as bad as this one. This one has put me over the edge with the itching and stinging
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.
Hi

Have you been examined by a Dr?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes and the doctor said that he ruled out bug bites and allergic reaction. He told me to wait and see if anything else popped up as far as symptoms but it was a wait and see kind of thing. He also ruled out shingles
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.
Hi

Can you post a picture?

You can use the "tree" icon on the toolbar.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.
Hi

I did not get your last post.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

sorry I will try to send the picture again. It's with my camera phone so its not the best quality.

graphic

Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.
Hi

It's a little out of focus but to me that looks like a bacterial follicultits - bacterial infection of the hair follicles - I'd usually prescribe an antibiotic - flucloxacillin 250mg four times per day.

The best option may be to have your skin examined by a dermatologist.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you ever so much for your advice. You have been very professional and kind. I would surely use this site again!! I will take your opinion to my doctor and he can refer me to a dermatologist
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.
You are welcome.

Regards

Dr Jef