Dr. RayA
Dr. RayA, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctorate(MD), with post-Doctoral training in Internal Medicine

I have a burning pain at the bottom of my heel when I flex

I have a burning pain at the bottom of my heel when I flex my foot. What is the problem?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RayA replied 7 years ago.
Is the pain generally worse after resting for a while, or when you first walk on it after waking up?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The pain exists only when flexing my foot toward my shins; this occurs in thoses instances when I'm in a seated position with my legs straight out in front of me and I'm leaning foward to stretch my hamstrings. This is the position where I first noticed the problem. I have also been noticing the same sensation when I bend forward to reach for something on the floor.

The pain is at the bottom of my heal and not the back of my heel, if that helps.

I've never experienced this before and I'm a regular exerciser.

Expert:  Dr. RayA replied 7 years ago.
There are a number of potential causes of your heel pain. The tingling/burning description you gave suggests tarsal tunnel syndrome as a possibility. Given the information you've provided, this seems like the most likely diagnosis. Pain control using anti inflammatories such as NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, naprosyn, etc) or even corticosteroid injections is a possibility for conservative treatment. In addition, many people get some benefit from correcting foot posture with orthotics.

There are a number of other potential causes as well. The increase in pain with dorsiflexion of the foot (toes to shins) suggests achilles tendonitis. This classically causes posterior heel pain. You could also have Achilles bursitis, inflamation of a sack filled with lubricating fluid near the insertion of the Achilles tendon on the heel bone. Both of these problems typically are aggravated by exercise, and since yours is not, this reduces the likelihood.