A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I pulled a muscle in my rib cage coughing it was getting better

I pulled a muscle in my rib cage coughing it was getting better but I am still coughing so it hurts even more now
Category: Health
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Age: 26; Female, Montana

Already Tried:
I went to the first care clinic and was given pain killer and told not to push myself physically. I have done so but I am in more pain now then before.
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Sometimes coughing can cause inflammation of the cartilage connecting the ribs to the sternum. It makes further coughing, sideways movement, etc. very uncomfortable. Treatment is anti-inflammatory medication like ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or naproxen (Aleve) and rest. Hugging a pillow or a large stuffed animal tightly to your chest when you cough can help some with the pain. If the coughing is bad, you may need a cough medication with codeine to prevent some of the coughing.