Dr.Saurabh Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor
Experience:  Physician,Neuro and Vascular Interventional Radiologist
8591189

Sensation / pressure along side of my neck up to my ear - what could this be

I have a vague pressure / tingling sensation from the middle of my neck up to my ear. It seems to run along the main muscle of the neck, where the artery is located. I feel it more when I am stressed out. I have had general bloodwork done this year and everything looks ok from that standpoint. I am sleeping ok. I'm going to see a doctor about it, but I am worried and wanted to see if you had any ideas on what this could be.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Age: 43; Female, Pennsylvania

Already Tried:
Trying to control stress thru yoga

Do you have a fever / difficulty hearing ?

Did you sprain your neck / pull a muscle ?

Does this tingling increase /decrease in a particular position of you neck ?

Is this feeling more at a certain time of the day ?

Please let me know.

Kindest Regards,

Dr.Joshi
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Dr. Joshi,

I have no fever or difficulty hearing, and have not sprained or pulled muscles in my neck. The feeling starts at the middle of the neck on one side ( along the muscle ) and ends with a slight feeling of pressure at the jawline and I can feel a little pressure deep in the ear. It's definitely not a pain per se, but more like a tingling pressure. The feeling is increased during the day and seems to recede a bit at night. It might decrease at night because I am more relaxed then. I've been working in a high pressure job for several years now and I'm wondering if the stress is playing a part in this.

When did you first notice this tingling ?

Has it steadily increased in intensity over time ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Dr. Joshi,

This feeling has been going on for at least 8 months. I seems to come and go. I got a really bad cold back in March and I thought it was related to that, but this feeling has stayed on.

Thank you for clarifying.

This tingling sensation can be due to a lingering cold that you had some time ago.

This can also be caused by a Cervical Radiculopathy , that is a bulge in the Intervertebral discs between the cervical vertebrae that compress of the exiting nerve roots causing a tingling sensation.

This can be detected on an X ray of the Cervical Spine ( Neck ).

It can also be stress related especially if you have to sit in front of a computer screen for long hours.

Please see your doctor for an evaluation and further management.

I hope this answer helps you.

Kindest Regards,

Dr.Joshi