Dr. M. Lahkar
Dr. M. Lahkar, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD in Radiodiagnosis

what would be the cause of an ear smelling badly That isnt

what would be the cause of an ear smelling badly? That isn't improved by cleaning? Ear infection?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. M. Lahkar replied 7 years ago.

Is there any discharge from the ear? If so, what is the color?

For how long has the bad smell been there?

Any pain in the ear?

Anu wax inside the ear?

Im still online to answer your queries after you send me this info.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

there is no discharge. I first noticed this bad smell a couple days ago. There is, I think, only a tiny bit of discomfort in the ear. If there is wax, it is deep inside. Basically the ear just smells very bad. I'm wondering if the Physican's assistant I see at my college health center can handle it, or it's a serious enough problem to go immeditely to an Ear, nose, and throat specialist.

Hello, there are 3 main possibilities of a bad smelling ear:

These are otitis externa, middle ear infection and cholesteatoma (chronic ear infection).

Otitis externa is characterized by discomfort that is limited to the external auditory canal, and on examination, there may be erythema and swelling of the canal present.It may or may not be associated with ear discharge. Thorough cleansing of the canal is essential for diagnosis and treatment, but flushing should be avoided. Acidification with a topical solution of 2 percent acetic acid combined with hydrocortisone for inflammation is an effective treatment.

The other two conditions are associted with ear pain, ear discharge , ringing in the ear and sometimes deafness.

My suggestion is that your ear needs to be eaxmined by an ENT specialist and only after appropriate diagnosis treatment should be given.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.