Internist
Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States
13024878

Everytime I go to the bathroom I have a bowel movement of small

Everytime I go to the bathroom I have a bowel movement of small size stool Is this a problem.

How old are you?
Any tests?
How long has it been going on?
Any blood?
Any medical history?

I have over 20 years experience in patient care dealing with similar issues as this. If I have answered your question, please click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) and " POSITIVE FEEDBACK' so I can get paid for my work. If you ARE NOT satisfied, please ask for more information or explanation. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor. Thanks for your inquiry. If you have future questions, you may request that I answer them.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Age: 65; Female, New York

Already Tried:
I had a problem in the past with not being able to have an easy bowel movement. I used a stool softener for a few days. After using the stool softener, I began having regurlar bowel movements. I am just curious to know if this is a sign of any problem to have a bowel movement each time I go to the bathroom. The stool is very rarely the large "s" shape that it should be there. It is small size stool.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am 65 years old. I have not had any tests. This has been going on for about three months. Very infrequently there is a little blood, which I feel is a result of straining. 995 of the time there is no straining and no blood, however, the stool is never anything other than small. i can count the amount of times that it has been large formed stool.

Family history ..brother has Krohn's disease. Mother passed away..alzheimer. Father passed away...result of a mugging...heart attackl. Brother passed away two years ago. brain tumor.

I am in excellent health and physical condition...vegetarian diet and excercise every day

In view of your age and the occasional blood you should have a colonoscopy. Assuming this is normal the following regimen should help. But you must see your doctor also.

I will recommend a regimen for you to try to get you to have one or two normal bowel movements a day. The first approach is to increase fiber and bulk in your stool. If this fails, then you must go on to stimulant laxatives or other agents.

First, to increase the bulk in the stool, you must take fiber every am. ie. bran, bran cereal, bran muffin. Also 2 salads a day and ample fruits and vegetables. (avoid gas forming vegetables such as beans or broccoli) Metamucil, Citrocel, Konsyl, Hydrocil, Perdiem 2-4 heaping tablespoons a day should help increase the bulk in your stool. You may instead want to try Fibercon, 6-8 capsules a day. Start slowly and increase the amount every day to avoid side effects of gas or bloating.
Try to train yourself to have one or two movements a day by sitting on the toilet the same time every day.

I have found this works for most of my patients after minor adjustments you must make yourself. Let me know how you make out after a few weeks. This takes time and does not work overnight.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The answer was helpful, however, not exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to know if it is normal to have a bowel movement everytime you go to the bathroom.

I do not remember selecting the accept key, so how did the answer get accepted. i would have accepted the answer, even though it did not answer the question I was asking. It gave me information about my diet, which is pretty much what I eat (only have one salad a day).

When you say a bowel movement" every time you go to the bathroom" do you mean urinating??

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, everytime I urinaate I have a bowel movement
OK,

You are having frequent small bowel movements. No, this is not normal but not serious. The regimen I suggested above will take care of this so you have 1-2 normal movements a day. Hope this helps.