Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

I have discoloration of skin on my neck. It appears to be

Customer Question

I have discoloration of skin on my neck. It appears to be splotchy, red, and brownish. I thought it might be from my dress shirt collar so I quit wearing it buttoned with a necktie for a period and it has persisted.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 7 years ago.

Since when have you had this rash?

Is there any itching or blisters on the rash?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have had this condition for approximately 5 years. It is not so much a rash as it is like a large age spot along my neck/collar line.

There is no blistering- some occasional itching. Do you think it could be from starch in my dress shirts?

Increased pigmentation of the skin occurs when the skin is constantly irritated, either by something rubbing against it (as by your shirt collar) or by dryness or by an infection.

In your case, you are quite right in suspecting this discoloration to be due to chaffing from your collar. But the occasional itching can also be due to dryness of the skin in that area. If you have dandruff, then the irritation from the dandruff can be another factor.

You need to apply a good cream containing aloe vera and vitamin E daily over the spot. Once a week apply a face mask meant for dry skin over the skin of the neck. This should help remove the superficial dry skin layers and also keep the skin well moisturised.

If you do not see any change in 1 month, plese consult a dermatologist.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Any suggestions or recommendations on specific products?
There are a large number of brands containing aloe vera and vitamin E. Most are equally good.