Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Im going in for a colonoscopy tomorrow morning and theyre

I'm going in for a colonoscopy tomorrow morning and they're going to give me anesthesia. I'm currently prescribed Xanax 1 mg. Is it safe to take 1 mg prior to coming in for the colonoscopy. Didn't have enough time to ask the doc.

Xanax is prescribed so that you are relaxed and decrease your anxiety when you go in for the procedure.

It is safe to take 1 mg of Xanax before a colonoscopy.

You will probably be given a mild intravenous sedative before the procedure to decrease the pain level.

You can read more on what to expect at a Colonoscopy here :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/colonoscopy/CO00009

I hope this answer helps you.

Kindest Regards,

Dr.Joshi

I would respectfully XXXXX XXXXX the answer provided by the other expert.

Standard medical practice is for the patient NOT to take most medications the morning of surgery or any procedure that involves IV sedation (such as a colonoscopy)

There is risk of a serious interaction between the Xanax and any sedative medication given during the procedure.

YOU SHOULD NOT TAKE THE MEDICATION THE MORNING OF YOUR PROCEDURE WITHOUT SPECIFIC RECOMMENDATIONS BY THE DOCTOR WHO WILL BE DOING THE PROCEDURE.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
I agree with family physician. You should not take any medications prior to the endoscopy. The stomach should be empty and also the sedatives may have an additive with the medications that you will receive durrng endoscopy.

This communication will remain open until your question has been answered. I have over 20 years experience in patient care dealing with similar issues as this. If I have answered your question, please click "ACCEPT" and " POSITIVE FEEDBACK' so I can get paid for my work. If you ARE NOT satisfied, please ask for more information or explanation. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor. Thanks for your inquiry. If you have future questions, you may request that I answer them.