Dr. RayA
Dr. RayA, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctorate(MD), with post-Doctoral training in Internal Medicine

Experiencing bloating, nausea, gas pain, acid reflux and indgestion

Experiencing bloating, nausea, gas pain, acid reflux and indgestion for sometime now. I am 27 years old, I stay fairly active throughout the day and eat healthy. I am miserable. What could it be? They say it have been caused from stress...I am recently divorced..Please help
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RayA replied 7 years ago.
Hi LookingForAnswersNow,
This constellation of symptoms occurs fairly commonly together. There are a number of potential causes for it. The most common is GERD. The stress of a divorce can definitely bring on a worsening of this kind of problem. GERDis caused when the acid from your stomach splashes up and causes a chemical burn on your esophagus (the tube that food travels down on its way to the stomach). Once this burn occurs, the lining of the esophagus can be quite sensitive, and eating, drinking, stress or positional changes can worsen the discomfort.

You can try taking over the counter omeprazole (brand name is Prilosec) for a few weeks to see if this helps. This medication is a Protpn Pump Inhibitor (PPI), a significantly stronger type of acid reducer than Zantac (a selective histamine blocker).

It is also important to avoid medicines like Aspirin, naproxin and ibuprofen (Tylenol is OK), since these can worsen GERD. Modifying your diet to avoid GERD worsening foods can also help. Foods to avoid include onions, garlic, mint, coffee, tomatoes, and spicy foods.

Gas-X can help in conjunction with the acid reducer. The key to successfully using simethicone (the active ingredient in many anti-gas medications) is to take it near the time of meals. The drug works by reducing surface tension in gastric fluids, causing the little bubbles to group together into bigger bubbles that can be more easily passed before reaching the intestines, where it causes more discomfort.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you think it could be Gastritis. I don't know if this is helpful but I had a UTI about a month ago. I feel like i have gained weight because of this. Should I change my diet? What can I do to get rid of this bloating as well?
Expert:  Dr. RayA replied 7 years ago.
Gas is a common cause of feeling bloated. Dietary changes can help with gassiness and bloating, if the Gas-X isn't sufficient.

I've tried to list some of the most common gas producing foods below:

Artificial sweeteners such as Mannitol, or Sorbitol
Dairy products (Ice cream, milk, cheese, etc)
Legumes (Beans, peas, lentils, etc)
Fruits, including apples, avocados, bananas, melon, prunes and raisins
Large amounts of bran or wheat products
High fat foods, such as fatty meats, fried foods or rich cream sauces
Vegetables, including broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and cauliflower, corn, cucumber, sweet peppers, onions, and sauerkraut