Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

What does posterior disk bulge/uncinate spur complexes at both

What does posterior disk bulge/uncinate spur complexes at both levels, more prominent at C5-6?   Also, these partially effaces the anterior subararchnoid space and extends into both neural foramina-means what? These are my MRI results which I don't understand. Thank you so much for the help. Also, do I need to see a neuro?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.

The key question here is:

Do you have neck pain that extends over the shoulder down into the arms, and into the thumb and index finger?

If not, why did you get the MRI?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, pain extends over the shoulder down into the arms to hand. I had MRI of neck and back done due to severe pain, numbness, tingling, burning and left leg going numb and I fall.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.

OK.

posterior disk bulge/uncinate spur complexes at both levels, more prominent at C5-6?

This means you have a bulging disc, as well as "bone spurs" which are bulging into the area of the spinal cord where the nerves reside. In particular, the more prominent one is between the 5th and 6th cervical vertebrae, and the nerve in that area goes over the shoulder, down the arm into the thumb and index finger - so if that nerve was being irritated, that is where the pain would be (and the pain seems to fit your MRI).

Also, these partially effaces the anterior subararchnoid space and extends into both neural foramina-means what

Subarachnoid space is the space around the spinal cord. These bulging disc / bone spurs are partially compressing the spinal cord and the nerves (via the neural foramina, or the "tunnels" where the nerves from the spinal cord head out into the arms).

Yes, if you haven't already, you should get a referral to a neurosurgeon concerning your neck/arm symptoms and this MRI. If the pains do not improve on their own, or the amount of "bulging" from the disc and bone spur are significant, a surgical decompression may be necessary to relieve the pressure off the spinal cord and nerves.

Given that your symptoms seem to match your MRI, it would be likely that a surgical decompression would help, which is called an "ACDF"":

http://www.mayfieldclinic.com/PE-ACDF.htm