Dr. RayA
Dr. RayA, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctorate(MD), with post-Doctoral training in Internal Medicine

I feel like there is a large air bubble in my chest every time

I feel like there is a large air bubble in my chest every time I swallow any substance. Food hurts the most but any liquid hurts as well. If I don't eat or drink anything for a while it goes away. What is it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RayA replied 7 years ago.
Hi Barbarella,
It sounds like you probably have some GERD (Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease). This is caused when the acid from your stomach splashes up and causes a chemical burn on your esophagus (the tube that food travels down on its way to the stomach). Once this burn occurs, the lining of the esophagus can be quite sensitive, and eating or drinking can worsen the discomfort. You can try taking over the counter omeprazole (brand name is Prilosec) for a few weeks to see if this helps. It is also important to avoid medicines like Aspirin, naproxin and ibuprofen (Tylenol is OK), since these can worsen GERD. Modifying your diet to avoid GERD worsening foods can also help. Foods to avoid include onions, garlic, mint, coffee, tomatoes, and spicy foods.