Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

What is the best and mildest tranquilizer with the fewest side

Customer Question

What is the best and mildest tranquilizer with the fewest side effects on the market, that could be taken with Toprol XL. I have a mild heart condition. ( irregular heart beat )
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 7 years ago.
Why do you believe that you need a tranquilizer?

What symptoms do you have that you believe would require a tranquilizer?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am a very active person for 78, work and on the go a lot. Dealing with Building Contractors and People that just make me up tight, I definitatly am a very nervious person and get stressed out easily. I have been on Toprol since 1992, and my Doctors will prescribe tranquilizers for me, but can not seem to come up with what agrees with my system, at times it will add to my palpitations.I dont like to take medications and I need one if there is such a thing that will keep me from getting stressed out and more relaxed mannor, that can be taken for a period of time without compilacations. My Doctor will go with your recomenditations, If you have any sugestions
Have they tried any medications prior to your asking this question? Which ones?

Are there any other medication you are taking?

Any other health problems?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Alprozolam 0.25 mg, Lorazepam 0.5 mg

Tolprol XL since 1992

No other health problems

If you have had problems with both Alprazolam and Lorazepam, then my thought would be either buspirone or one of the newer antidepressants at a low dose. Another option would be St. John's Wort - a herbal product.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have used St.John's Wort with no satisfaction. What are the names of the new low dose antidepressants so I would know what to ask for?

Lexapro, Celexa or Effexor are three that I would consider.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The Buspirone sounds as if this one could possibly be what I am looking for. I will run this by my primary care Doctor, im not sure about the other three, but worth looking into.This has been the first help i have received in this matter. Thank You,Cloud Runner 1
Buspirone is the one that I would most likely try based on the history that you have given.