Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

Burning sensation in the toes while driving with the foot on

Burning sensation in the toes while driving with the foot on the gas petal. Any advice?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Is it just your right foot?

Does the burning also involve the back of the thigh, or the calf, or the bottom of the foot as well?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is the right foot, no pain in leg or elsewhere just intense burning pain in toes and right behind toes. Will hurt until I remove shoe and then goes away completely. It would seem the bending of foot to depress accelerator cause the pain.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Do you have diabetes?

Or pain in the legs or feet when walking long distances?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No diabetes. Yes it does bother some when walking alot. Only toes and behind toes though not leg. After walking the pain is much more intense when I get in truck and start driving. I am a amputee, high AK and have a tendency to vault to compensate and bring prostesis through while walking.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

The intense burning type of pain that is limited to the foot only suggests that the irritation is coming from the foot area, and not further up the leg (as lumbar nerve root - in the back, or sciatica can cause burning pains in the toes, but also up the leg).

Given your history, I wonder if a condition called "tarsal tunnel" (similar to carpal tunnel in the hands) can be causing compression of the nerve and burning sensations in the toes:

The fact that you have to put more pressure on this foot also seems to suggest that the irritation comes from the foot.

Of course, the only way to tell for sure is to get an exam by a doctor in person, who can ensure this is not due to "peripheral neuropathy", another common cause of burning sensations in the feet: