Dr. K
Dr. K, Doctor
Experience:  Resident of Internal Medicine, Long Beach, CA

Can Vicodin be prescribed for Interstitial Cystitis I am

Can Vicodin be prescribed for Interstitial Cystitis? I am on Elmiron (200 mg BID), Ativan (PRN) and Cymbalta (30mg BID). I use Ativan PRN (2 mg, never more than once per day and rarely two days in a row). When my symptoms flare I also use vicodin PRN (if I have any). I take 2 5/500 mg of vicocin two or three times a week for anywhere between 2 and 6 weeks. From what I’ve read all of the medications I am on can be a part of the treatment regimen for people with IC, however neither my urologist or my pain specialist (whom I just recently started seeing) will prescribe me vicodin. I’ve been on a number of other drugs; unfortunately they have had no beneficial effect. Vicodin does not get rid of my discomfort but it does help. It took me years of trial and error with other drugs to find out that Ativan can significantly decrease my symptoms. Now that I’ve found another drug that can help, it seems that I may not be able to get a prescription. I am very much aware of the addictive affects of benzodiazepines and opioids; which is why I only use them for my IC when needed. Am I asking for something unreasonable or am I just talking to the wrong physicians?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.

Narcotics are often prescribed by some physicians to help alleviate pain from IC. Medications like vicodin in no way fix the problem, but rather provide subjective pain relief. Of course these have side effects of their own including liver damage, respiratory depression, and dependency. Many physicians are uncomfortable prescribing such long term pain medications due to these side effects. Some, however, are willing to do so.

Dr. K