Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK

My husband has felt constipated for the past three days. This

Customer Question

My husband has felt constipated for the past three days. This is very unusual for him. He took metamucil Wed & Thurs evening, and magnesium citrate Fri morning. He has been drinking a lot of water since this started. He also had a headache and chills yesterday. He has pains in his lower abdomen, and cannot go to the bathroom. Also, his anus hurts him. It's not the worst pain he has ever felt, but it is very uncomfortable for him. What should we do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Salar replied 7 years ago.
he can try miralax and benadryl suppositries...also important to drink water, exercise and use colace stool softner... if he is not passing any gas at all then he should go to ER and get checked for acute abdomen.
Expert:  Salar replied 7 years ago.
sorry its not benadryl.. i wanted to write dulcolax or glycerin.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. After reading your response and the part about abdomen obstruction, we went to the ER. My husband has been diagonsed with diverticulitis. Since we had already tried the constipation things, we realized it wasn't that. Thanks for your reccommendation to go to the ER. He is recovering well, and now we know about his condition. Hopefully he will be home by Monday. Thanks again. Have a great day.
Expert:  Salar replied 7 years ago.
i m glad that your husband is doing well. good luck n speedy recovery to him.