sarahfnp-bc
sarahfnp-bc, Family Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  OB, L&D, ER, and family practice, addictions treatment and detox with methadone and suboxone.

I have a serious question and its been bugging me Id due

Customer Question

I have a serious question and it's been bugging me: I'd due for a 10 year colonoscopy in 10 days. My GI guy has ordered propopfol and I'm allergic to versed. It's not secret versed deserves the bad press it's been getting. My doc has no problem with me writing across the consent form - NO VERSED - I VOMIT! - no premedication! I'm not being smart, but what on earth will the nurses do in endoscopy when they can't shove versed in you in the holding area? As a volunteer in this hospital, endoscopy nurses here work from rote. Do I smile, pretend, I'm stupid, what? I really dont' know how to play this. Thank you very much
Category: Health
Expert:  sarahfnp-bc replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thanks for the question.

I can certainly appreciate your apprehension with versed use. But as the previous expert said, "I don't think your giving the nurses enough credit."

Your decision to not use versed is your right. It doesn't matter if it's for allergy or you just don't want it. Not everyone does or can take versed an we're o.k with that. We don't make extra money shoving versed in your IV. Nor do we want to shove versed in your IV. Nurses are often your biggest allies and biggest patient advocates. Don't act stupid with us as this is not good for us or you. Always keep the lines of communication open, that is your best defense. Tell them you can't have or don't want it. We are not robots but educated people who know how to deal with different situations. For instance "routine" endoscopy does not always end up in a routine manner. There can be complications to them and we know how to deal with any emergency that may arise as well. Telling us you don't want versed won't ruffle our feathers at all.

So I guess what I am saying is you don't need to "play" it at all. This is your health not something to play off as stupid. Communicating openly and honestly will help you in the long run.

I hope this helps.

Sarah

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nurse attitudes are prevalent in many hospitals having special units (maybe due to salary issues) and thinking they do not exist is out of touch. As an employee of a hospital, I've seen endo nurses become totally flustered when a pt disrupts the preop routine. I can walk through the endo unit on any given day after the docs have left and see nurses on the phone, eating a bagel, etc., while patients are trying to vomit, sitting up looking for someone so they can ask a question, but as they are perceived "out of it" courtesy of versed they are ignored until the stipulated 30 min has passed. To use your words, "dont act stupid with us" - endo nurses only want compliance, which is why smart gastro guys are now setting up their own suites in their offices and they can choose caring employees. Interesting how you brought up the issue of "money". You still didnt respond to what is done with pts in the holding area who request no premedication. My sister was treated like dirt a few months ago when she made an "open and honest" request. Re-read your answer. It was hateful. I asked in sincerty and you responded in an ugly manner. Thanks for proving my point. Hardly the behavior of an "Ask A Question" expert.
Customer

I apologize if my tone was hateful. It was not meant to be. I have actually answered questions for you before. Go back and read them. It is never my intention to be hateful. Far from it.

Those are not my words, "don't act stupid with us". That was your question, " Do I smile, pretend, I'm stupid, what? I really dont' know how to play this."

That is also truly how I feel. In my experience I would never want a patient to have to act stupid. I would much prefer an open and honest line of communication. For example if you perceive they are treating you badly for not wanting pre-medication I would stop them and say, "do you have some sort of judgment about me not wanting medication or versed?" "Is there something I have done to offend you because I 'm feeling like your put off". I would be completely honest, I think most people appreciate that.

In the case of not being premeditated it should run pretty smoothly. Check you in, go over pre-post procedure instructions, sign consents, start IV's, and into room. Propofol is what you are choosing to go with right? It's similar to versed in some ways and I would assume they will give it to you at the onset of the actual procedure.

What I am hearing from you is a lot of preconceived judgment. And it sounds like you have had enough experience including bad to have some serious concerns. But I in no way was trying to be hateful. It truly is my belief that you should be open and honest and clear. The other thing I would suggest is that if you have a friend that works in the hospital go with you. Someone who can be there to be your advocate.

I hope this helps. Again, read some of the posts we have worked on together in the past. It is never my intention to be offensive or rude, and I am really sorry if I came off that way.

Sarah

Here is a link to a previous post

http://medical.justanswer.com/questions/1gzm1-upper-endoscopy-dilatation

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I appreciate your reply, but "reconceived judgment" after seeing neglect happening to patients in the endo suite might be a reason for that thought - and not want to have it happen to me. Hospital policy will not allow any nurse that is not a part of the procedure 'team' to be in the procedure room. The former policy of allowing students or others view a procedure (at the concurrence of the pt) is no longer allowed due to legal issues. I've decided to cancel. That way neglect wont happen. I wont be using this venue again.

Exactly,

That's why I said it sounds like you have had enough bad exposure to have formed those judgments.

They may not be allowed into the procedure room but what about pre and post procedure?