Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have a very severe pain in my side radiating to my back but

Customer Question

I have a very severe pain in my side radiating to my back but the pain only happens when I lie down. It is so severe that I have trouble moving in bed and terrible trouble getting back to a sitting position.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Greetings.

Since when is the pain? Do you have any urinary problems? Any significant past medical or surgical history? Any injury to back? Does the pain occurs on sitting and standing also or it subsides completely? Were any investigations or imaging done?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I've had the pain for about two weeks. I take vesicare for frequent urination. I have a bulging disc, minimal arthritis and alternating facets at L5. The pain subsides completely until I lie down. And then it is very severe. No investigations of this problem have been done. I take celebrex daily, as well as citracal and move free. I also take a high blood pressure pill and a diruetic every other day. I take lipatur and synthroid.

Greetings.

With your existing history of spine problems, I feel this can be bone spur which pinch on the nerve when you lie down. A secondary muscle spasm do occur with the problem which cause pain only in specific positions, when this muscle or muscle fibers come into the play. With the problem persisting for almost two weeks and pain intensity quite high, ideally, you should contact an orthopedist or a rehab doctor (MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation) for a physical evaluation. Taking Motrin, applying hot packs, local analgesic ointment (patch or spray), and physical therapy in the form of simple stretching should help you, meanwhile.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there a possibility that the pain I am having which as I said only occurs when I lie down is kidney or liver trouble?

Pain which only occur with specific body positions or postures are unlikely to be related to the visceral organs (liver and kidney).

Dr. Arun