Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

What role do pulmonologists play in pulmonary rehab progra

What role do pulmonologists play in pulmonary rehab programs?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
While they may not be overseeing the daily activities of the program, it is important to have someone knowledgable in pulmonary diseases that is overseeing the direction of the program.

e.g. the person who is in charge should have very good knowledge of the different pulmonary diseases which affect their patient population, and be able to propose different rehabilitation therapies for each.

They would be able to direct which patient population benefits from exercise training, help design the cirriculum for patient and family education, coordinate with the social workers and psychiatrists, and design followup to ensure good patient outcomes.

Because this is an inpatient setting, this physician will also be in charge of writing new orders and overseeing any medical care these patients require. Such is also the case with spinal cord injury rehab (where a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor is in charge) or stroke rehab (where a neurologist is typically in charge).
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience: U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Most of our patients already have a pulmonologist, and we (RTs) call them when there are changes in pt status or have a request for a treatment plan.

Our RT dept.does have knowlege of the different pulmonary diseases which affect our pt population.

Our hospital requires a referral for inpatient admission and an order for pulmonary rehab. And in the past the respiratory deparatment designs the curriculum for the patient' education, and OT & PT work with exercise and ADLs

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Our hospital requires a referral for inpatient admission and an order for pulmonary rehab. And in the past the respiratory deparatment designs the curriculum for the patient' education, and OT & PT work with exercise and ADLs.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
It seems as if you have all of the hallmarks of a good rehabilitation program already, so the hiring of a pulmonologist may just be for the hospital to say there is someone that is "overseeing" the program, to give it credibility to outside physicians and patients. This is why most units in the hospital (the ICUs, the step down floors, the stroke floor, the cancer floor, ER, etc) have "medical directors" in place that can oversee policy changes and help guide the direction of therapy for the people who really do the work - everyone else!
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)