Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

My husband is having a problem that seems to be getting worse

My husband is having a problem that seems to be getting worse and I need to know if I should insist harder that he go to the doctor. When he brushes his teeth he begins to gag and he has to stop immediately. Sometimes he can not stop the gagging and he throws up violently. He also can not even rinse his mouth out because he will continue to gag. Over the last few months it only occurred occasionaly but now it is almost every time. Should I be worried and what could be causing this? He claims it is in his head but this does not seem normal to me nor in his head.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.

Does he have any pain in throat or mouth? Is there any change of voice? or movement of body? How about swallowing foods?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There have been times that he gags when he is eating food. He hasn't said anything about pain in throat or mouth. I am not sure about what you mean in movement of body. He has recently started using a machine when he sleeps for sleep apneia. Could this be causing the problem. He is about 20 pounds overweight and have severe sleep apneia. He does choke on food that he is eating and has to really concentrate not to throw up.
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.
By movement I meant when he walks do you see any abnormality in the gait or hand movement ? His age please?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
His age is 54. I really don't see any abnormality in his walking or hand movement.
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the input,

He needs to be seen by doctor . The gagging or the difficulty in swallowing can be due to any problem with the motility disorder or abnormal movement of the food tube, This may be related to diseases of the nerves. In some cases it is related to the acid reflux of the stomach which may cause inflammation of the esophagus causing inability to swallow. In a few cases it may be due to development of tumor also. As some of the causes are potentially serious , he should have a consultation with a gastroenterologist . An endoscopic examination may be necessary.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish his healthy life.
Any query, please ask.