Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I had surgery to repair a rectal prolapse two years ago. The

I had surgery to repair a rectal prolapse two years ago. The surgeon entered through my abdomen to perform the surgery on my rectum. Anyway, since then I have had to use digital evacuation (with gloves and vaseline of course) for two years now the majority of the time to have a bowel movement. Otherwise, I will feel extremely uncomfortable and have a sense of bowel urgency but will be unable to have a bowel movement without manual assistance. Sometimes the fecal stool will get stuck right at the lowest point of the rectum or occasionally even partway through the anus. I am miserable with this problem for so many reasons. I had mentioned it to it doctors in the past and they had little helpful to say. I am extremely embarassed but I am desperate to have this problem resolved so that I can live a normal life. I have of course tried all of the fiber, laxatives, increased fluids etc. but I am ultimately stuck with the same problem. What advice would you have for me?

From your history it appears that you have adopted the all possible good measures like fibers, increased fluid , exercise & healthy diets.

These are all appropriate measures for the relief of constipation in a healthy way.

At this point I feel you need an review of your condition by a proctologist to see whether there is any sort of obstruction there.

OTC products will not be helpful.

The other thing is to increase the amount of liquid intake further which can reduce the consistency of stool.

I hope this information will help.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I did appreciate that. Can you tell me what types of thing/s could be causing this humiliating problem. It is so burdensome for me and I am just desperate for clues as to what exactly could be wrong and what needs to be done to fix it. I don't want to just keep repeating myself to my local doctors given the embarassing nature of the symptoms. I will understand that any information you provide would be educated guesses and not diagnoses obviously since you haven't evaluated me in person but I would love any information that could get me out of the dark a bit here. I just don't understand what is causing this problem and I can't exactly talk to people about it if you know what I mean. Any and all additional information you could provide to me would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you in advance. Centering my life around the availablility of latex gloves and vaseline has become highly upsetting for me.
I understand how embarrassing it is & it can be to discuss with anybody except medical personnel.

The problem can be any scar tissue or any band constricting the bowel which I wanted you to get reviewed. If it is the case then resection of band or any sort of dilatation can help you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My doctor had previously recommended that biofeedback might be an option. I am hesitant to pursue this because a. it seems like a very humiliating procedure b. if I'm constantly getting impacted and need to have it removed I don't really understand how biofeedback would be helpful in that regard. I was wondering if you could give me your advice on whether biofeedback seems like something worth looking into or if given the situation other options, like the resection of band or dilitation, seem more appropriate. I would greatly appreciate your opinion. Thank you.
I also do not understand how it will work or overcome your difficulty. It is causing difficulty with your voluntary function. I feel looking for bands or strictures should be tried.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What are bands and strictures and what does looking for bands or strictures involve? I am not really familiar with that terminology.
Strictures are formed like any scar on the skin during the healing of the wound. It can cause narrowing of the lumen,

The bands are like threads of tissue which may form around any structure after the operation & may cause obstruction of gut.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks so much. One last question, what is the lumen?
Lumen is the hollow part of a tube as of a gut.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I apologize. I did have one more question after all. What is "dilitation" and what does "resection of band" entail? I plan to accept your next answer and pay for the services. I've already got money in an account at Just Answer. I just want to make sure I have a full and complete understanding of what you have so kindly told me. Thank you in advance!
Sorry to be late due to internet problem at my end.

Nothing to be sorry.

Dilatation is enlarging the lumen by any surgical procedure.

Resectiotion of band is cutting down the band which is causing obstruction.