Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Id noticed a drastic change in my vision, esp. left eye.

I'd noticed a drastic change in my vision, esp. left eye. Ihad my eyes examined by an optometrist at Sams Club. He gave me a new prescription for eyeglasses and also told me I had cataracts in both eyes but I needed to see an opthomologist to see when they would be ripe enough to remove. I made an appt. but his off also has an optometrist and they wanted me to see him first. He diagnosed me with Vitreous Detachment, gave me some drops and said return in three weeks. He also said if I see bright lights sudden in that eye to get to the office within 24 hrs. I was told I have a small tear and fluid is leaking. It's as if a wave or something will flost across that eye. More serious to me is I'm having bad headaches from the neck up and esp. behind my eyes. This is 24/7 and it's very seldom I have had headaches before this. I turned 64 in Oct. but am told I look no older than 45. Is this an elderly diease, should I change MD's. Please advise.

The Vitreous Detachment can occur in any person who is above age 50 or have near sightedness. Your symptoms of headache, change in vision are due to the Vitreous Detachment. You don't have to change your MD. The problem is self limiting in most instances and would abate on its own. Only in very few cases, require active treatment, so you should not be worried. If there is sudden increase in the floaters, you should contact your doctor immediately. Read this authentic resource;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun