Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have had two large boils in 2 colon-rectal surgeon

I have had two large boils in 2 colon-rectal surgeon said that we need a colonoscopy. He used the word "tracks" when telling me what he would look for while in the colon rectal area. Please explain the tracks he talked about.....

Were the boils situated near the anal opening? Do you have past history or family history of Crohn's disease?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dear Dr. Arun,

No, niether boil was near the anus.

And noone in my family has Crohn's.

I hope this helps!

Thank you,

Can you please let me know the site of the boils? What were the other symptoms you had which warranted colonoscopy?

Thanks for your patience with my questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hmmmm....I think both were on the lower left "cheek"...not in exactly

the same spot, but near each other only separated by time.

I am very clean as a person, have good self-care habits, shower daily, etc.

No other "symptoms", I am eight years overdue for the colonoscopy....I have been

putting it off because of fear.....No rational reason for the fear, I just do not like the idea of being probed down there.

Hello Candace,

Thanks for the information.

You can go for the virtual colonoscopy which is done byXXXXXscan, to avoid the discomfort of the colonoscopy. This gives as good information as colonoscopy itself. Read about it;

The recurrent boil formation near the butt cheek and around the anal opening do give slight suspicion of communication inside with colon or rectum of these boils. These are called as fistula in ano (anal fistula). The track means the passage way or tunnel, which has been from the skin to rectum. The inflammatory bowel disorders (Crohn's disease), can be responsible for these. Since you have healed, albeit slow, you may not have Crohn's disease but a recurrent boil do warrant the endoscopy to rule it out. Read about the Crohn's disease and related fistula (tract) (please read under the heading fistula);

Please see this resource also (fistula and abscess);

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I suggested a virtual...but my insurance will not cover it...unless after the colonoscopy

the doc recommends it......

I will read the websites and I will get back to you!!

OK. Please let me know your further queries, if you have any, after reading the links.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I just read the websites.

I don't see a cause for can I avoid them in the future?? I feel like I in

a cycle.....they are very, very painful......

Will my doc be able to tell me right after the colonoscopy if he saw any tracks??

Oh, he did a rectal exam in his office and told me he did not see any that a good sign??

As you can maybe tell, I do not overuse medical folk.....but when I do, I am loaded with questions and concerns!

Hi Candace,

Thanks for your further questions.

Yes, it is a good sign that your physician did not note any track by a digital rectal examination.

The doctor will be able to tell about the tracts after colonoscopy as they visualize them in the scope.

The cause for the boils are skin infection by the bacteria like staphylococcus. If there are tracts, so there are communication between the bowel and skin, then the bacteria are E. coli.

It is pleasure assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you very much.

You have eased my nervousness.

You are welcome.

Best wishes and kindest regards.

Dr. Arun