Edward Johnson
Edward Johnson, U.S. Army Medic
Experience:  U.S. Army Medical Services Corps, and Special Forces Med School, Ft. Sam Houstan, Tx; EMT U.AK

I have itchy, watery eyes all year long. Right now they are

I have itchy, watery eyes all year long. Right now they are red. I would like to know if there is a cream I could use to help this problem. If I put sunglasses on they stream up so I can not see through them. If there is a cream I can put on them at night to help this problem. I have taken allergy medicine (pills) and they do not help. I just took an allergy test (blood sample) for environmental reasons. It showed a moderate allergy to ragweed.

Dear XXXXXfisher,

Thank you for your question.

There is unfortunately, no cream safe for human eyes that can be taken to relieve the itching and watering.

There are antibiotic ointments that can go on the eye lids, and even some antibiotic creams. BUT, these will not help alergies.

Hydrocortizone cream should never be placed in the eye, though if a physician prescribes it, you can put it on your eyelids. BUT you have to be careful not to put it in your eyes.

You may find some relief from non-steroidal ophthalmic eye drops which contain anit histamines. these will counter act the Mast cells production and wash the eye of irritants, to provide some relief. You can find some over the counter preperations, but it sounds like you need a prescription strength ordered by your physician.