R Makaza
R Makaza, Doctor
Experience:  Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB ChB)with Honours in Surgery. 7 years experience.
13001479

The answer that Dr. Makasza gave me Im still worried. My

Customer Question

The answer that Dr. Makasza gave me I'm still worried. My sister is in excellent health. She has a lot of sun damage on her chest from years of baking in the sun. She had a squamous removed from her chest, and Mohs surgery was done. It looked like a pimple white head. Afer she had the surgery, she waited in the waiting room, for 40 minutes. The doctor called her and told her she is clean. Does that mean there was no cancer found in the tissues that was frozen. She was so relieved that she didn"t ask the doctor any questions, He sewed her up, and he wants to see her in 7 weeks to see how she healed.
Category: Health
Expert:  R Makaza replied 8 years ago.
Hi again

Sorry for the late reply, it is because I am in a different time zone. Clean does not mean the tissue that was removed is not cancerous. For the procedure itself to be carried out there has to be reasonable suspicion of the cancerous nature of the lesion. Clean in this case means they managed to remove the whole part that was affected and left the healthy tissue only. They can confidently say so because the operation is done under microscopic inspection. In most cases(up to 99%)) this procedure is curative. Please do not worry yourself unduly.

Thank you
<br />
<br />Dr Makaza