Carole, Nurse
Experience:  20+ years professional experience in emergency nursing, skilled, HIV Certified educator

Migraine headaches since 1999 and just when I think they are coming

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have had Migraine headaches since 1999 and just when I think they are coming close to treating them, I get moved to a different Doctor. I ended up just saying heck with it!   Anyway, I do suffer from liver disease, but right now (knock) my G.I. physician says everything looks good. Shortyly after this though, I did get a Seizure and this was't my first.   My question is what are Seizures and please don't tell me what causes thme. Things are very serious for me, so I'm told; but I can assure you that I do not drink alcohol. My chest(heart) races at times and when I lay down this becomes worse, among everything add severe anxziety, and well just confusion in my head. My sister questioned if I was tested for Metanephrined and I just said "NO", but I have no clew as to what this is.   My wife and I were just blessed with a baby y-------two-girls and now the boy, and now the surgeon. Fun Stuff Thankyou           David
Category: Health
Expert:  Carole replied 7 years ago.

Seizures can effect and/or alter changes in consciousness, alertness, awareness, cause confusion, muscle spasms, involuntary muscle/motor movements, and others. This is caused by a sensation which is brought on by electrical disturbances within the brain. There are different types of seizures, as well as varying degree's of severity, causes, types (classification), and symptoms which accompany them. Epilepsy is a more common condition which can cause seizures. With this condition, there is a tendency for the brain to release electrical energy's which thus disrupts the other brain functions. So a seizure is ultimately a "symptom" to some other underlying condition, and there are a multiple of conditions which cause these.

I would suggest that have further testing obtained in order to determine what may have caused the seizure. I would recommend that you communicate your concerns with your primary care physician, as he/she may obtain further testing and/or studies, or refer you to a specialist (neurologist) if need be. They may better test specific in order to diagnose and treat as if necessary.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank You,