Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

had sex about a month ago start having nausia, back pain, and

had sex about a month ago start having nausia, back pain, and other symptoms. came on period a few days ago but it was clots in my blood when i urinate. it started coming out brown/red like old blood at first and now its pure red. i went to bathroom and it is blood coming out but also like another color like old blood but with and oder. please can you tell me what is wrong with me.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 8 years ago.
Excessive or frequent menses is called menorrhagia. A single or few episodes of heavy menses is very common and most women go through such episodes at one time or the other. It can be due to a number of causes:

Hormonal imbalance:
*
Adolescence
*Pre-menopausal
* Stress
* Weight gain/loss
Cervical polyps
Endometrial polyps
Lupus
Pelvic Inflammaotory Diseases (PID)
Bleeding disorders
- due to use of aspirin or other drugs.

Since this is only the first episode for you, this is likely to be temporary which will subside in one or two more days.

However, if it lasts for more than 10 days or the bleeding is so heavy that you go through a tampon in less than 2 hours for several hours, you will require medical checkup.

There could be different causes, but the doctor would need to do a physical exam and a thorough investigation. They can do several things to help you stop bleeding so heavily--medications, D & C, endometrial ablation, to name a few. The best approach for you in that case is to approach a gynaecologist.

You can look up here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/menorrhagia/DS00394

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068954/

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green ‘accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
and the oder???
The odor may be suggestive of an infection.

However, an odor can also occur sometimes without any infection in excessive bleeding.

For now, if the bleeding is not so extensive, you can try a wait and watch policy.

However, if it becomes more severe, or lasts for more than 10 days, or you develop any new symptoms like pain or cramping, you have to approach a gynaecologist.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.