Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK

My husband underwent a thorascopy for 2 large bullae in his

My husband underwent a thorascopy for 2 large bullae in his left lung. Th surgeon said the surgery was a success. He was in intensive care for 2 days after and they moved him to a regular room. He seemed fine, but i commented to the nurse that i wasn't happy with his heartrate which was 116. I left feeling he was o.k.. At 11:00 tey gave him a nebulizer treatment which he had had before. At 2:00 a.m he woke up feeling shaky and pain in his chest, his h.r. was 200 his oxygen level and B.P. went very low .They rushed him back to i.c.u and it took 5 hrs to stabilize him. His DR. was very sketchy and said there was a small leak in his lung. Can you please give me a few more details on why this happened. Thank you so much, Lynn Clayville
Category: Health
Expert:  Salar replied 7 years ago.
well it is common for patients to have relatively higher heart rate after surgery due to pain, anxiety and fluid loss. management is usually pain meds and or anxiety meds as indicated. if he had albuterol nebs that can also lead to increase heart rate. As for the chest pain and low BP .. it could either from heart attack or pneumothorax( air in lungs )..from what your doctor said it seemed that he had air leak either from the surgical site or rupture of some small bullae.. if it is pneumothorax .. they may have given him a chest tube .
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
DR. he does have a chest tube at the site, and i don't know what pnemothorax is can i expect this to keep happening re: high hr etc.
Expert:  Salar replied 7 years ago.
pneumothorax is air in the lung which can occur on its own by rupture of bullae or after surgery. well once he is stable his heart rate should get to normal. this is just during the acute phase..