Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

I am 24 years old, and have smoked heavily for 10 years. I

I am 24 years old, and have smoked heavily for 10 years. I have had bronchitis and pneumonia several times in my life. I am quite often short of breath, but I am also quite overweight. I quit smoking 2 days ago, and it seems Im even shorter of breath than normal. What are the chances that I have COPD?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 7 years ago.
At 24, you are quite unlikely to have developed COPD.

Congratulations on having stopped smoking at least now, being pregnant you of course cannot smoke now without causing severe damage to the baby.

COPD is a disease of a later age, around 50 years or so. SO you are not likely to have COPD at this age.

Your lungs will still be resilient, and the present difficulties are not due to COPD but nicotine withdrawal.

You should look up this site for nicotine withdrawal, if your symptoms are very severe you should consult your doctor.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.