Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant

I have an appt with my doctor for a physical, at which time

I have an appt with my doctor for a physical, at which time I will show her the recent blood test results I received from a Life Insurance Physical. In the meantime I am very worried about my liver function and possible damage. ALP= 142, AST=27,ALT=68 and GGT=296. Though I drank alcohol excessively as a young man, I only drink socially for the past 15 years. (One of those social occasions was less than a week before my blood test.) I am male, 45 years old, height 6'0, weight 175lbs. My father died of Liver disease (probably drinking induced), and his sister died of liver disease (never had a drink in her life). My diet is awful, usually consisting of deli sandwiches, candy and lot of soda. My question is, "Do the blood test result indicate liver damage?" Thank you!
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 7 years ago.

For ALP each lab has a different value for what is considered normal, so you will need to ask your doctor what value the lab used has listed as a normal range. Some prominent labs use 20-140 as a normal value. So in this case it may be just very slightly high. You can read more about this test here
For ALT labs use a different range as far as what is within normal limits and what is not. One promiment lab uses between 4-36. In this case this would be high. Very high levels of alkaline phosphatase can be caused by liver disorders, such as hepatits, blockage of the bile ducts, gallstones, cirrhosis, liver cancer, or cancer that has spread to the liver from another location in the body, bone diseases, such as Paget's disease, osteomalacia, rickets, bone tumors, or by overactive, parathyroid glands, hyperparathyroidism, heart failure, heart attack, hepatitis and mono. You can read more here
For the GGT test each lab has a different normal value. Some labs use a normal value between 0 to 51. In this case this would be high. An elevated level means that something is occurring with your liver, but it doesn't specifically say what. The higher the level, the worst it is for your liver. An elevated level can be due to liver disease, but it may also be due to congestive heart failure, alcohol consumption, and use of many prescription and non prescription medications including NSAIDs, lipid lowering medications, antibiotics, histamine blockers, antifungals, seizure control medications, antidepressants, and hormones such as testosterone. A small amount of alcohol 24 hours before a test can also temporarily increase your levels. Smoking can also raise the level. Further testing would need to be done to determine the exact cause. You can read more about this test here
You need to discuss these results with your doctor.