Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

I have MVP AND AT NIGHT I CAN hear my heart beat loud .AND

Customer Question

I have MVP AND AT NIGHT I CAN hear my heart beat loud .AND I can get up and my blood pressure is realy low .Some times my heart has a pain that I can't sleep . my heart sounds like a washing machine . and beats really fast.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using Justanswer for your question.

I would like to know if you have ever been educated about the MVP syndrome, and how the sympathetic system is effected? If not, I have some information that I think could be really helpful to you. I don't want to repeat it if you know it, but it appears that you may have been diagnosed before this information was even really described.

I'll look for your reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do take Medication for this condition ,ATENOLOL and CITALOPRAM . I have been to heart doctors and have been diagnosed with MVP .Also have been told that I need to go again for my heart seems to be sounding different ,like it vibrates , you can put your hand on my chest and fill it vibrate. Also I had a cather of my heart a couple years ago , they though I had a blockage .
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 7 years ago.

You may be interested to find out, that there is often other issues that go along with having MVP.

I have had questions from several individuals with MVP. I have learned a few things. I'm sure it is no fun to have, but it is an interesting disorder, and you can actually learn to control some aspects of it.

Although, I certainly recommend you continue to follow up with your doctor, and if you have a blockage of a vessel in your heart, I hope you are doing things to help with that (decreasing certain "bad" fats in your diet; exercising gradually to toleration - walking is great)

Apparently MVP is a sign in nearly 90% of the people with it of an underlying condition of the autonomic nervous system.

In an individual with MVP syndrome anything that makes you a little nervous or anxious can cause your autonomic system to treat as a much bigger "attack" than it actually is, and that is why you gets so extremely nervous.

So because of this overly reactive autonomic nervous system you get into an anxiety state, or panic state much easier.

Beta Blocker medication can help with this, and you are on one, atenolol.

I also have an article that explains the MVP syndrome in an indepth way, and it also talds about various treatment recommendations. So I hope you read it. It is also an interesting article that should be an "eye opener" for you to read.

The article above recommends using relaxation techniques when you start to feel panicy about your heart. This can really help. I have a great website here that gives a good explanation of several techniques and will make it easier for you to learn to do these. See:

I hope you try some of these suggestions. Please feel free to get back to me and let me know how it is working for you.

Also, if you have further quesions don't hesitate to reply.

Take care,