Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My arm is sore between my shoulder and elbow. It is not from

Customer Question

My arm is sore between my shoulder and elbow. It is not from any physical exertion. The discomfort is not in the skin or really the muscle. When I pull down something easy window shade or window it is very weak. I have had no other health problems. I can feel the discomfort when I am layin in bed doing nothing or if I am walking upstairs. I can not pinpoint all the times the discomfort happens. Maybe I have a bit more limited motion when I move my arm behind my back. I am not sure what to do. I am in my mid 40's and in good health.   I can tell you this in not normal. Any ideas what is happening?   I realize my description is vague but this is how it feels- it has kept me awake at night and I know its hurting. Thank you very much
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Greetings.

The description of pain and its character points out to pinched nerves in the neck. The pinched nerve occurs because of the degenerative disc disease or bone spurs (cervical spondylosis). The mainstay of the treatment is physical therapy. You need to consult either an orthopedist or a rehab doctor (MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation). After a physical examination, they might get some investigations to confirm the pathology by MRI, nerve conduction study, electromyography etc. Read these resources;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pinched-nerve/DS00879

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cervical-spondylosis/DS00697

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you very much for the information. However, I have never had any problems with my back or neck that would lead me to believe this is the problem. Could this be related to any problems with lymph nodes, my father had lymphoma ( I do not remember what type non- hodkins?? cannot remember). I just do not see any reason to go see a Dr. unless it gets worse.

I agree that with a family history of cancer one has to be vigilant. These symptoms do not correlate with the lymph node diseases or any lymphoma (Hodgkin's or Non-Hodgkin's), though.

The musculoskeletal evaluation is by looking for the joint restriction of the movements, local tender points, specific painful movements, etc which give clue to the diagnosis. The radiculopathy may occur without any perceptible pain in the neck and physical examination maneuver only are able to get some indications for the pinched nerves. If the discomfort or pain is slight, you can try Motrin for some days. The anti-inflammatory action helps to relieve the pain.

Please feel free to discuss it further.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you.

You are welcome.

Best wishes and kindest regards.

Dr. Arun