Internist
Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States
13024878

what are the signs and symptoms of mutli-organ failure, and

what are the signs and symptoms of mutli-organ failure, and how long does a patient live once this starts.
Category: Health
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.
Customer
The symptoms of multiple organ failure are too numerous to list. Usually this occurs in a severely ill patient who has disseminated infection, cardiac or respiratory failure or diffuse cancer. Multi-organ failure usually refers to the kidneys, heart, respiratory system, circulatory system an is usually fatal.

This communication will remain open until your question has been answered. I have over 20 years experience in patient care dealing with similar issues as this. If I have answered your question, please click ACCEPT. POSITIVE FEEDBACK/BONUS is always appreciated. This is how I am compensated for my work. This response does not substitute for a visit to your doctor. Thanks for your inquiry.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there an average length of time before death?
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.
There is not an average length of time before death. This will depend on the extent of the organ failure, the quality of care given an the patient's underlying condition. Usually it will occur within days.