Dr. Lam
Dr. Lam, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Anti-aging Physician with extensive experience in alternative medicine

hi, my nose is always running, and always blocked up. I dont

hi, my nose is always running, and always blocked up. I dont have a cold, but am always blowing my nose because its always running, also i find the cold weather makes my nose run too. I have tried nasal sprays, but they irrate my nose and make me sneeze causing it to run again, and sprays can make me feel blocked up. Cant remember the last time i could breath through both nasal passages, its usually one or the other. Please can you help?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Lam replied 7 years ago.
Greetings. Thank you for your question.

what color is the discharge
does it run at night when you aer sleeping on the back
do you have any past injuries to your nose
do you have any allergies
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

hi there,

the discharge is normal colour i would say, white to grey, slightly yellow some times.

When i sleep, usually on my back, my nose doesnt run, but when i wake up in the morning, i feel blocked up and will need to blow my nose a few times just to clear the airways. Then after ive showered and am getting ready for the day, my nose will start running again through out the day. - i always have tissues on me.

i did cut the bridge of my nose about 15 years ago, and have a small scar, but that the only injury i can think of.

i would say i am generally allergic to dust, when i am cleaning my room, alot of dust comes up and i will start sneezing and my nose will run. Other than that, no allergies.

hope you can help.

Expert:  Dr. Lam replied 7 years ago.
constant running nose can be indicative of a large variety of illness, from allergies to organica growth. The fact that your drianage is more severe in the morning point to the possible involvement of the post nasal area. The color yellow may point to an infection. The fact that it does not drain on a supine position points to the drainage going backwards and possibly into your throat.

All in all , you need to see a ENT specialist for further evaluation. At the meantime, some have reported great benefit with nasal drainage kits you can get from a pharmacy for temporary relief.