Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant

Low neutrophils (33) and high Lymphocytes (57) count. I was

Customer Question

Low neutrophils (33) and high Lymphocytes (57) count. I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia (Nov 2007) and during my quest for an answer to what was ailing me, I took several CBC tests beginning in 2006. Every test is showing my counts being low. 1. What does all of this mean? And 2. Why are my Dr's (Cardiologist- says take another test in 4 months/PCP and Neurologist) not saying anything about these results to me?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 7 years ago.

For a neutrophil test, the normal range is variable from lab to lab. Some labs use 50-70. In this case it would be low. A low count can be due to a genetic disorder, aplastic anemia, or some kind of leukemia. You can read more about this test here
For the lymphocyte count, some labs use a normal lymphocyte count between 15-40. In this case it would be high. You can read more about this test and what high and low values mean here
As these are general tests, further testing would need to be done to determine the exact cause.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
<p>Could my current medication (Gabapentin) cause this?</p>

No- this medication does not have it listed as a side effect that it would effect your tests.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay. I went to those links and its speaking of serious illnesses. So, I am really trying to figure out why none of my Dr's are even discussing this matter with me. XXXXXs from 3 different hospital and no mention of the possible underlying problems, with the exception of the neurologist stating that I may have an autoimmune disease.

It's possible that for now they just want to recheck you after a certain amount of time to see where your levels are. If you aren't experiencing any symptoms, then this is usually the case especially when the levels aren't too far out of range. I am not sure why they wouldn't tell you the possible causes- maybe because they wanted to hold off until it is determined if this is something that has to be looked into further.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I pulled my labwork from July 2008 and it shows seg neutrophils count as(70 range 42-75) and my lymphocytes count as(23 range 18-48), so what could make these changes within in the last few months?

Lab values consistently change whether they be within or out of range. What I posted above would be all the reasons why they could change, and depending on your health history and results, a doctor may just want to keep an eye on them.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay and many thanks for your patience and understanding. This is frustrating for me and I am trying not to stress over the unknowns. I have a Dr's appt tomorrow, so prayerfully, he will provide me with the answers I am seeking. Its unfortunate that my cardiologist and not my primary care physician bought this to my attention.

You are very welcome Smile