Doctor G.
Doctor G., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine / Cardiology / Endocrine questions

I wanted to know how e-coli gets into the lungs since the lungs

I wanted to know how e-coli gets into the lungs since the lungs are not connected to the colon where e-coli lives.
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 8 years ago.
"Respiratory tract infections due to E coli are uncommon and are almost always associated with E coli UTI. No virulence factors have been implicated. E coli pneumonia may also result from microaspiration of upper airway secretions that have been previously colonized with this organism in severely ill patients; hence, it is a cause of nosocomial pneumonia. However, E coli pneumonia can also be community-acquired in patients who have underlying disease such as diabetes mellitus, alcoholism, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and E coli UTI. E coli pneumonia usually manifests as a bronchopneumonia of the lower lobes and may be complicated by empyema. E coli bacteremia precedes pneumonia and is usually due to another focus of E coli infection in the urinary or GI tract."

What this says is that are a couple of ways to get e.coli in the respiratory tract:
1) Someone put their hand aither form their anus to mouth or from their urinary tract to the mouth.
2) In a very ill patient there are times where poor hygiene causes aspiration of content into the lung
BotXXXXX XXXXXne is we do not naturally have e.coli "up" there only "down" there, a person has to transport it.

If I answered your question, please press 'ACCEPT'
follow-ups are always welcome.