Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

I have been breaking out in hives everyday now for almost two

Customer Question

I have been breaking out in hives everyday now for almost two weeks. They are always in different places. This morning I woke up and my lips have hives on them. I am really starting to worry and was wondering if I should go see a doctor.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 8 years ago.

You can take anti allergic medication like Benadryl, and it should help with the hives. A visit to a doctor is not absolutely necessary at this point, but if you have difficulty breathing, swelling of throat, headache etc, then you should seek immediate medical assistance.

These symptoms are cause by allergy and the allergen can be any new medication, food, soap, cosmetics, insect bite or any other environmental agent. So if you suspect of something that may be causing these symptoms, you should try to selectively avoid it and see the response.

If the symptoms continue to occur, then you should see an allergist/immunologist and a patch test may be required to identify the allergen.

Dr Singh

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I havent changed anything that i use in my daily life. I am really concerned because this has never happend before and I am breaking out every day. They appear usually after I wake up. I never get hives when Im awake. Just asleep. I dont know what to do. I have been getting headaches and have been having allergies. I am very concerned,
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 8 years ago.
I understand, but hives only occur when there is some allergen in the environment. Possibility of bed bugs is also there which may cause hives during sleep. You may try changing the place of sleep for few days if possible.

Dr Singh