Dr.Saurabh Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor
Experience:  Physician,Neuro and Vascular Interventional Radiologist
8591189

CAN EXESSIVE ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION CAUSE A FUNGUS TYPE OF SKIN

CAN EXESSIVE ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION CAUSE A FUNGUS TYPE OF SKIN RASH ON THE BACK, ARMS AND FACE

How much alcohol have you consume ?

Do you have any other symptoms besides the rash like fever / loss of weight/ bloating of stomach ?

Is the rash spreading and increasing in size ?

Please let me know.

Regards,

Dr.Joshi

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
SOMETIMES I WILL CONSUME A 26ER OF WHISKEY TWICE A WEEK. I HAVE NO OTHER SYMTOMS OTHER THAN THE RASH, THO I AM SOMEWHAT OVERWEIGHT BUT NOT OBESE. IT IS SPREADING A BIT BUT IT DID THAT BEFORE THAN PRETTY MUCH WENT AWAY. THE WHISKEY CONSUMPTION IS THE ONLY CHANGE I HAVE MADE IN MY LIFE IN THE LAST YEAR OR SO WHICH IS WHY I WAS WONDERING IF IT COULD POSSIBLY BE THE CAUSE. BOTH MY DOCTOR AND A DERMATOLOGIST SAID THEY DIDN'T THINK SO BUT I THOUGHT I WOULD TRY FOR A FURTHER OPINION. I HAVE NOT HAD A DRINK SINCE SATURDAY BUT IT HASN'T HELPED
Have you had any blood tests that checked your Liver function recently ?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I HAD A FULL PHYSICAL EARLIER THIS YEAR WHEN THE RASH FIRST APPEARED AND ALL MY TESTS CAME BACK NORMAL EXEPT MY CHOLESTEROL WAS SLIGHTLY ELEVATED ACCORDING TO MY DOCTOR BUT HE RECOMMENDED NO ACTION OTHER THEN A CREAM FOR THE RASH BUT TOLD ME TO GO TO A DERMATOLIGIST TO BE SURE AND HE JUST RECOMMENDED ANOTHER CREAM, WHICH HELPED CLEAR IT BUT IT HAS RETURNED IN THE LAST 10 DAYS OR SO.

This rash is most probably caused by a fungus, as the cream is offering some relief.

There can be a tendency to develop rashes with excessive alcohol intake, as alcohol would reduce Liver function and the metabolites would accumulate in the body and cause such a rash.

Alcoholism can cause a decreased immunity that can reduce resistance against fungi and cause repeated infections and thus the recurring fugal rash.

I hope this helps you understand.

Kindest Regards,

Dr.Joshi