Dr. K
Dr. K, Doctor
Experience:  Resident of Internal Medicine, Long Beach, CA

what does it mean when your body makes too much blood

what does it mean when your body makes too much blood?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I believe you are referring to Polycythemia vera, which is due to an excess production of blood cell products by the bone marrow. This happens by a seemingly random chance mutatation in the DNA of bone marrow. Basically a gene changes and tells the bone marrow to grow rapidly and create lots of cells. I hope this helps and would be happy to answer any follow-up questions.

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there any syntoms of polcythermia vera? and treatment?
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.

People with polycythemia vera will often have a variety of symptoms including but not limited to itchiness (especially after a warm shower), redness of the skin, numbness in the extremities, chest pain, an enlarged spleen, and fatigue. Treatment usually consists of intermittent blood draws to lower the cell levels, medications to suppress the bone marrow, aspirin, medications for itching, or some combination of these all.

Dr. K