Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant

I dropped a board on the top of my foot. Hurts pretty good

I dropped a board on the top of my foot. Hurts pretty good and is swollen. Do you think it is cracked or broke and if it is is there anything to do for it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 8 years ago.

If you have the following symptoms, this means a fracture has occurred- immediate, throbbing pain, swelling, pain, bruising, tenderness, deformity, and inability to walk or bear weight. The only way to know for sure if a fracture occurred would be to have an x-ray done. In the meantime, you can apply ice covered with a towel to the area for up to 20 minutes at a time. So please do make a trip to the ER to have an x-ray done.