DrOAB
DrOAB, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  In practice since 2000.
12594838

My son cannot burp. Is there anything that can help him release

My son cannot burp. Is there anything that can help him release air build up in his stomach.

DearCustomer

This question was listed in the Pediatrics (under age 12 years) category: What is your son's age?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My son is 23 years old but has had this problem his whole life. We never realized it till he was in college because we thought it was just a type of heartburn or acid reflux. He noticed when he drinks pop or a beer that he just can't burp so he avoids both. He was talking with a friend of his from high school in the last year and found out his friend also suffers from this. I have been searching the internet to see if there is anything out there to relieve them of this discomfort and I found your website and thought I'd give you all a shot. Thanks.

DearCustomer

To help prevent gas from eating legumes (beans and peanuts) and cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts), over-the-counter Beano may help.

To reduce foaming in the stomach or intestinal tract, over-the-counter simethicone products (e.g., Gas-X) may help. This may help with soda and beer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I think this is more complicated than any over the counter treatment. I've found blogs with people relating these same symptoms. There really are a lot of people out there with this but I doubt there's enough for anyone to spend a whole lot of time trying to figure out what it is and what causes it. I do appreciate your time and will continue to search to internet for a solution.

DearCustomer

OK, your initial question implied a need for something to release stomach gas buildup--I thought you meant medications.

If you were concerned about a problem that could actually obstruct stomach gas release, then my thoughts would include GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) or an esophageal motility/relaxation problem. Esophageal injury due to GERD acid reflux could prevent eructation (the medical term for burping). Achalasia is a failure of the lower esophageal sphincter muscle to open and allow food passage down/gas passage up. Esophageal stricture (e.g., due to esophageal web or scarring, such as with GERD) and rare esophageal cancer could cause similar symptoms.

A gastroenterologist (digestive system specialist) may be able to help with an upper endoscopy (tube camera visualization) of the esophagus or an esophageal motility study.