Kerry
Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,
169559

what is considered long term smoking and how many a day is

Customer Question

what is considered long term smoking and how many a day is considered a heavy smoker
Category: Health
Expert:  Kerry replied 8 years ago.
Hello more than 9 per day is considered to be damaging. Long term smoker would be one who has smoked for over a year. Kerry
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so if I have smoked a pack of cigarettes for a year and a half I am at risk for colon cancer
Expert:  Kerry replied 8 years ago.
Hello Yes, your risk is increased more than if you had never smoked. Kerry
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
isn't it true that colon cancer is a slow growing cancer and that you should have a colonoscopy every 5 years
Expert:  Kerry replied 8 years ago.
Hello Yes, recomendations are every 5-10 years. It depends on the type of colon cancer. There are several types. Some are faster growing than others. May I ask why you are asking these questions? Kerry
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
because I having been smoking a pack a day for a year and a half and I am worried that I might have colon cancer. I am scheduled for a colonoscopy in December
Expert:  Kerry replied 8 years ago.
Hello One can get colon cancer if they smoke or not. What are your symptoms? What is your age and gender? Kerry
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am a 58 year old female. I have no symtomns,but I read on the internet that colon cancer often has no early symtomns
Expert:  Kerry replied 8 years ago.
Hello
Please try not to worry. It's a good idea to have the colonoscopy just to be sure, but chances are you will be just fine. There are symptoms to watch for such as darker stools or bleeding. Kerry
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have had dark stools for 3 weeks but no blood. Is that good?
Expert:  Kerry replied 8 years ago.
<p>Hello</p><p> </p><p>Dark stools can be related to what you are eating, iron supplements, etc. Not necessarily does it mean cancer. Please try not to worry. </p><p>Let me know how the test goes.</p><p>Kerry</p>
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I had a colonoscopy 5 years ago and I had no polyps. three and a half years later I had 3 root canals done and I've had dental anxiety every since. That's what starting me smoking a pack or more a day. I go to the mental health clinic every month, but it does seem to help me much. I'm extremely scared of this colonoscopy