Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

Every night when i go to bed I start to itch. It usually begins

Every night when i go to bed I start to itch. It usually begins on my back and then goes to my arms, stomach, chest, legs, feet, scalp. I am exhausted right now b/c I can't stop itching and i am pretty shakey
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 8 years ago.

Itching whne you are in bed could be due to (a) bed bugs, (b) excessive dry skin rubbing on the sheets (c) allergy to something in the sheets.

You need to eliminate the causes one by one.

If you have reddish spots on your body then they are probably bed bugs.

Please change all your bed linen and wash them in boiling water. Vaccuum the mattress. Check if you have changed your detergent recently.

Apply a moisturiser before you go to bed. Caladryl lotion contains a mild anesthetic which can help control the itching. If the itching is due to an allergy, benadryl tablets will help.

Itching all over the body also occurs in skin conditions like scabies, in certain liver conditions where the level of liver enzymes and pigments rises in the body, or in conditions where the nerves are affected, as in diabetes.

Plus, you will have to avoid scratching yourself as much as possible even if it itches. Scratching causes release of a substance called histamin into the skin cells. Histamin causes more irritation of the cells and leads to more itching.

As soon as the itch start, apply an ice cold compress over it to cool the tissues, decrease histamine secretion and decrease the itch. This will help you to avoid scratching and starting the itch - scratch - itch cycle again.

You are also complaining of symptoms of a mild Restless leg Syndrome (RLS) - feeling a need to stretch your legs. So it is likely that the itching is due to a nerve problem.

Please consult a doctor and ask for blood tests to check the condition of the liver and the kidneys.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. Adding a bonus and a positive feedback will be warmly appreciated.