Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
467755

Blood tests show too much iron in my blood. What does this

Blood tests show too much iron in my blood. What does this mean and what shall I do about it? How did I get too much iron?
Customer

This condition is genetic. What happens is that the body accumulates excess amounts of iron, which slowly builds to toxic levels in tissues and major organs such as the liver, heart, brain, pancreas, lungs, and joints. Because of this, organs cease to function properly and eventually become diseased. It manifests in a man's early 30s and is diagnosed in a male's mid to late 50s. It can however be present in women, adolescents and possibly in children.
Phlebotomy is the first choice of treatment, as it is safe and quick. Chelating agents can also be used which bind to the iron and leave the body through urination. In this case, based on how severe your levels are, a pint of blood would be taken once or twice a week for several months to a year, sometimes longer. You can read more about this condition and current treatments here
http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hemochromatosis/index.htm
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This has helped me tremendously so far. Thank you very much for your quick and helpful response.
Customer

You are very welcome Smile