Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

what can I do about sticky lips - I put lip balm on but my

Customer Question

what can I do about sticky lips - I put lip balm on but my saliva must be sticky - it is drying me crazy
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 8 years ago.

Hi there and thanks for your question...

Dry/sticky lips can have several causes....certain medications, diabetes, dehydration, to name a few....knowing what is the cause can sometimes be the answer. In the meantime, you need to make sure you are drinking atleast 8-8oz's of water daily -more if you can do it. Keeping yourself hydrated on the inside will help a lot. If you get the diagnosis of Sjorgren's, this will give you some definitive reasons. In the meantime, can get some glycerin swabs to use on your lips, use a humidifier in your house and bedroom and make sure you maintain good oral hygiene.

If you do get diagnosed with Sjorgren's, you can click this website for more info...

Hope this helps!

Please feel free to respond until satisfied.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I drink plenty of water - this happened about 5 weeks ago - My mouth does not seem that dry - just sticky lips - you say glycerin swabs - were can I get those

You can get glycerin swabs at most Pharmacies...or home health store...or you can order online...

Another, question, do you take antihistimines like Claritin, Zyrtec, Allegra D, Xyzal, or Clarinex?? Any medication that is used for sinuses can cause dry mouth or sticky lips.