Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

what can I do about sticky lips - I put lip balm on but my

Customer Question

what can I do about sticky lips - I put lip balm on but my saliva must be sticky - it is drying me crazy
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 8 years ago.

Hi there and thanks for your question...

Dry/sticky lips can have several causes....certain medications, diabetes, dehydration, to name a few....knowing what is the cause can sometimes be the answer. In the meantime, you need to make sure you are drinking atleast 8-8oz's of water daily -more if you can do it. Keeping yourself hydrated on the inside will help a lot. If you get the diagnosis of Sjorgren's, this will give you some definitive reasons. In the meantime, can get some glycerin swabs to use on your lips, use a humidifier in your house and bedroom and make sure you maintain good oral hygiene.

If you do get diagnosed with Sjorgren's, you can click this website for more info...

http://www.medicinenet.com/sjogrens_syndrome/page3.htm

Hope this helps!

Please feel free to respond until satisfied.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I drink plenty of water - this happened about 5 weeks ago - My mouth does not seem that dry - just sticky lips - you say glycerin swabs - were can I get those

Hi

You can get glycerin swabs at most Pharmacies...or home health store...or you can order online...

http://www.brucemedical.com/md370.html

Another, question, do you take antihistimines like Claritin, Zyrtec, Allegra D, Xyzal, or Clarinex?? Any medication that is used for sinuses can cause dry mouth or sticky lips.